Friday, September 10, 2010

Honeymoon 2010: Crete

I'm baaaackkkk!! School has started and I have definitely bitten off more than I can chew! I am coaching volleyball, implementing and chairing a new Honors program, plus teaching, advising the yearbook and Lucas is back in school -- so I have let the blogging slide! However, I am back and ready to share the island of Crete!

Crete was our 2nd favorite place during our trip. We loved the island, the beach, the people, and we had the most beautiful and welcoming hotel. We spent 1 day in Iraklion, the main city, but the majority of the time was spent lounging at the pool, walking/hiking to the beach and eating at some delicious restaurants. Overall, we loved our visit in Crete.
The amazing view from our hotel

Our super adorable and beautiful balcony.

Living space in the hotel

Our hotel room

An interesting sign we noticed on our walk to the beach . . . read carefully.

Lucas enjoying a drink along the beach

Iraklion harbour and fortress

Outside the fortress

Wall of the fortress

The Venetian Fortress in Iraklion. Crete is in the center of 4 major continents, the U.S., Europe, Asia, and Africa therefore it was a very important military base. The island of Crete was owned by Italy for a long time (thus the title of the fortress) and it remains an important island in the area.

Enjoying a drink on the beach

Statue in the Archaeological Museum of Iraklion

Pool

Our beautiful hotel

1 comment:

Shelli Bunn-Petterson said...

Wow Leslie, those are gorgeous pictures. It looks like that must have been an amazing trip. :) I am envious.