I posted a brief post about eating real food after we watched Food, Inc. (amazing) and after reading The Food Rules by Michael Pollan. We have basically overhauled our entire diet, and it now almost entirely consists of real food. Now, in case you are thinking, "um, isn't everything I eat real food? I mean, I can eat it, so it is food, right?" Wrong. The real/whole food movement is all about eating real, whole, fresh food. Food that goes bad, food that has less than 5 ingredients, food that has ingredients you would recognize in their raw state, and that you can actually pronounce. Basically the whole food movement is all about eating non-processed food.
Now, you may be thinking this wouldn't be so bad, but it is a serious challenge. Next time you go to the grocery store, don't look at the nutrition facts, check out the ingredients, you will be shocked. I can honestly say that we have cut out foods from our diets that I really, really love -- like cereal! Ack! Cereal is one of the most processed foods out there. And flour tortillas, a food that I wouldn't list as my favorite if asked randomly, but when we cut it out, I missed it sooo much! However, I recently discovered the.best.thing.ever. and was so excited about it, Lucas was teasing me because I acted like I had won the lottery!
One of my co-workers mentioned that there were some raw flour tortillas at Costco, and that you had to cook them yourself; I thought this sounded pretty promising, so we checked it out today. SUCCESS! Only 5 ingredients and all things I can pronounce . . . and so DELISH!
I seriously booked it home, cooked one of these up (it took 1 minute) and had myself a cheesy quesadilla. It was so good! I have missed tortillas so much!
We have also looked into getting a subscription to a CSA (community supported agriculture). Our friends Amanda and Sam recently got a subscription and shared the info. with us and I sent a request for more information. The whole food movement also focused on buying local and organic -- this adds an extra challenge to the already painful grocery experience. However, with a CSA you purchase a yearly subscription and they DELIVER food every month in the winter, and weekly in the summer. The produce and meat is local and organic . . . did I mention that it is delivered to our house?? We don't eat that much meat because it is hard to find local and organic that is affordable but with a CSA they send 10lbs of meat a month and it always changes . . . chicken, eggs, beef, turkey, pork plus they throw in some other specials like whole wheat flour, quiche, beans, and whole wheat pizza crusts. CSAs can be found in almost every state; the one we plan on using is Morning Owl Farm:
We did our first weekly meal plan this week and I will post that later this week. In the meantime, if you want to do some more reading about eating real food check out these links:
100 Days of Real Food . . . a family of 4 (two kiddos) eat real food for 100 days!
That Wife . . . she has lots of great links to the whole food movement and a separate food blog!
Plus if you haven't seen Food, Inc. or read The Food Rules by Michael Pollan -- check them out!
Now, you may be thinking this wouldn't be so bad, but it is a serious challenge. Next time you go to the grocery store, don't look at the nutrition facts, check out the ingredients, you will be shocked. I can honestly say that we have cut out foods from our diets that I really, really love -- like cereal! Ack! Cereal is one of the most processed foods out there. And flour tortillas, a food that I wouldn't list as my favorite if asked randomly, but when we cut it out, I missed it sooo much! However, I recently discovered the.best.thing.ever. and was so excited about it, Lucas was teasing me because I acted like I had won the lottery!
One of my co-workers mentioned that there were some raw flour tortillas at Costco, and that you had to cook them yourself; I thought this sounded pretty promising, so we checked it out today. SUCCESS! Only 5 ingredients and all things I can pronounce . . . and so DELISH!
| Can you see that? Wheat flour (the best kind!), water, canola oil, salt and sugar. Woot, woot!! |
We have also looked into getting a subscription to a CSA (community supported agriculture). Our friends Amanda and Sam recently got a subscription and shared the info. with us and I sent a request for more information. The whole food movement also focused on buying local and organic -- this adds an extra challenge to the already painful grocery experience. However, with a CSA you purchase a yearly subscription and they DELIVER food every month in the winter, and weekly in the summer. The produce and meat is local and organic . . . did I mention that it is delivered to our house?? We don't eat that much meat because it is hard to find local and organic that is affordable but with a CSA they send 10lbs of meat a month and it always changes . . . chicken, eggs, beef, turkey, pork plus they throw in some other specials like whole wheat flour, quiche, beans, and whole wheat pizza crusts. CSAs can be found in almost every state; the one we plan on using is Morning Owl Farm:
We did our first weekly meal plan this week and I will post that later this week. In the meantime, if you want to do some more reading about eating real food check out these links:
100 Days of Real Food . . . a family of 4 (two kiddos) eat real food for 100 days!
That Wife . . . she has lots of great links to the whole food movement and a separate food blog!
Plus if you haven't seen Food, Inc. or read The Food Rules by Michael Pollan -- check them out!

1 comment:
We live off those tortillas. We used them for dessert too - honey and ice cream or cinnamon, sugar, and butter make them sooooo good. Or fresh fruit. We use them to make PW's breakfast burritos and then freeze the burritos. LOVE them. Miss you guys!!
Post a Comment