Thursday, February 3, 2011

Real Food: What We Eat

When we first started eating whole food it was pretty easy, then we got stuck in a food rut, and Lucas went back to school and was trying to find food to pack 3 nights a week. I was home alone, I didn't want to cook -- it was becoming a problem. So I turned to my good friend, Google. I researched, found new recipes, and meal planners. I found a meal planner form that fit our shopping schedule and was easy to us at this website. Then I forced Lucas (he hates to plan!) to sit down and we worked out a weekly meal schedule before we did our grocery shopping. So here's what we eat . . . (and a general list of ingredients)

Breakfast: Smoothies (we drink these almost every morning, and if we don't we eat organic instant oatmeal)
Ingredients: frozen berries, protein powder, milk, cinnamon, and a banana.

Lunch: Spinach Salad, bran banana muffin, and fruit/almonds.
Ingredients:

Salad: fresh spinach, peppers, carrots, red onions, roasted almonds, beans (either black or pinto), and sometimes cucumber. The dressing is 1TB EVOO and as much balsamic vinegar that we want.

Bran Banana muffin: 1 cup oat bran, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 3-4 bananas, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 1tsp baking powder, 1tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla, and a little dash of nutmeg. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes (I added a little dash of brown sugar and instant oats to the top, and it was delish!)

Dinners!! Here's where we struggle . . . I will list what we ate/will eat and later this week I'll post some recipes and pictures (pics always help!)

Sunday: Veggie stir-fry with rice noodles
Monday: Tortilla soup (in the crockpot)
Tuesday: Scrambled eggs & salsa in a flour tortilla and fruit
Wednesday: I went to a fabulous baby shower (post coming soon!) We ate soup and bread.
Thursday: Repeat of Tuesday -- Lucas had class and packed a Yumm Bowl
Friday: Clam linguine (so yummy, recipe from my momma!)
Saturday: Moussaka (one of our fav Greek meals)

So that's what we eat . . . I will post later on the baby shower and with recipes/pictures of some of our meals!




2 comments:

Shelley said...

Les--you are inspiring me with these food posts! I made these muffins this morning but with huckleberries instead of banana! So so good! I am trying to eat healthy and loose this baby weight once and for all...our at least until the next one comes!!!

Carl, Tara, Preston, Kelvin and Sullivan said...

I looked at Yumm sauce and I don't know that it falls into your "real food" 5 ingredient category!