For Super Bowl Sunday we had a laid back evening at home. Lucas' grad school buddy, Bo, came over and I made dinner and dessert.
We had moussaka which is a traditional Greek dish, I made ours vegetarian, and I prepared apple crisp in the slow cooker. We had a ton of red apples that we got from Costco and we weren't eating them fast enough, so I had to make something delicious!
 |
| Yum! This recipe has a lot of steps, so it is definitely not a weekly, or even monthly meal for us. It has lots of veggies though! I got the recipe from here. It is layered eggplant, zucchini, and potato slices. The tomato sauce could be a bolognese, if you choose, but ours is just tomatoes, spices, and vinegar. The top goes on about 25 minutes into baking and is a bechamel sauce (sounds fancy, but it's not) |
 |
| This was the easiest recipe ever and was delish! It made a lot, so we had lots of leftovers! Yum! This is early in the slow cooking process; by the end, the top was crispy and delicious! |
 |
| Moussaka baking . . . we also had leftovers of this! |
 |
| And just for kicks, here is a picture of what I bought at the farmer's market last weekend. All of the produce, milk and eggs are local and organic, yay! Milk (we can take the glass back in and replace it!), yams for a curry dish I am making this week, jalapenos, oranges, green peppers, avocados, cauliflower, fresh spinach, and we refilled our egg container too! We might have splurged on some local ice cream too . . . all for a whopping $35! |
|
|
Side notes: In reference to the cupcakes and how I filled them, I got a nifty contraption for Christmas called a cupcake plunger and it just shoves the middle of the cupcake down so you can fill that crater with filling and frost on top. However, this is not necessary. If you have decorating tips and frosting bags just jam the tip into each cupcake and fill it up that way! :)
2 comments:
That looks so yummy. I am not as hard core as you... yet, but I just planned out our basic menu items and stocked up on staples. I'm all set for a long evening of sorting, prepping, packaging and freezing. :)
I printed the apple pie crock pot recipe! Can't wait to try it!! Aunt Karen
Post a Comment