Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Real Food: Shopping

Many people are nervous about transitioning to real food because it will be more expensive, or take more time. Honestly, I don't think we spend any more money on food than we would if we weren't eating real food, we just spend it differently. It does take a little more time, because you have to actually plan what you want to eat and think about your meals before you make them. It also takes us, personally, a little more time, because we shop at 4 different places (luckily they are close together), but I'll explain more as I go along.

Here's what our shopping trip generally consists of: Winco, Farmer's Market, Butcher, and Great Harvest Bread Co. (if you haven't been to one of these, drop everything, find the nearest one, and go there immediately, it will change your life, you get a free slice of bread just for walking in the door, it's legit).


Here's a picture of my latest shopping trip -- I'll break down what I got, for how much, and from where.

Winco:
  • chocolate chips, all-natural granola, 
  • Adam's All-Natural PB, 
  • Daisy sour cream (yes, I'm totally dropping brand names, they should pay me), 
  • Emerald Valley organic salsa, 
  • rotini pasta, 
  • all-natural apple sauce, 
  • Food Should Taste Good sweet-potato and multi-grain organic crackers, 
  • Greek yogurt (my new fav is the honey flavor, it is delicious!, 
  • provolone, 
  • all-natural deli turkey meat, and 
  • red wine vinegar. 
All of these items have ingredients that I can pronounce, and I know what they look like in their natural form. The name brands really do make a difference in some products, you have to pay attention to ingredients!Total: $37.47

Normally, we can get away without going to Winco at all, but I needed a few staples to add into the mix.

Farmer's Market:
  • Bananas, 
  • 2 cucumbers, 
  • 4 zucchinis, 
  • 2 yellow squash, 
  • 8 Roma tomatoes, 
  • 2 russets potatoes, 
  • 2 heads broccoli, 
  • celery, 
  • 4 avocados, 
  • 4 peaches, 
  • 4 green peppers, 
  • 3 red peppers, 
  • 1 bundle asparagus, and 
  • a locally made raspberry and rhubarb jam (yum). 
All of these items are locally grown, and very fresh.
Total: $37.97 (if I had remembered to bring back our milk and egg carton, it would have been cheaper)


Butcher:
  • 1.25lbs boneless, skinless, all-natural, locally grown, and properly killed chicken breast, 
  • ditto for the 1lb. ground hamburger. 
Total: $14.85 -- this is a splurge for us, normally we don't eat much meat besides some shrimp or an occasional piece of fish

Great Harvest Bread Co.: One, hot out of the oven, deliciously soft and tremendously amazing loaf of High 5 Fiber bread, plus my free slice of raspberry cinnamon swirl, YUM.
Total: $4.90 -- Once I start baking our own bread in my new bread maker, this will become a very less frequent special occasion type place -- but seriously, it's so good.
Grand Total: $95.19

With all these ingredients, and what I have already stocked we will eat the following this week:
  • stuffed peppers, 
  • grilled chicken and summer squash, 
  • taco salad, 
  • baked potatoes with broccoli, 
  • pasta salad with homemade dressing, 
  • turkey sandwiches (see post coming soon), 
  • grilled veggie pizza, 
  • tuna salad on greens, 
  • homemade hummus and crackers, 
  • peanut butter and celery, 
  • plus a few more that probably haven't been created in my head yet.
Now, obviously you wouldn't need to shop at 4 different places just to eat real food, it is just the way that we do it, and it works for us. Albertson's, Safeway, and Fred Meyer's have good produce, and a solid selection of meat products that are all-natural. For anything other than produce and meat, you just have to look at the labels, if it has more than 5 ingredients that you can't pronounce or can't picture in their natural form, it is probably more of an edible food-like substance then an actual food. I'll be posting more delicious recipes soon! Happy Eating!


2 comments:

Shelley said...

Love it, Les!!!

nicole said...

Leslie! I'm loving your food posts - keep 'em coming! I love the meal ideas and reassurance that it is okay if you have to go to lots of places to get what you love. Also...keep me updated on the bread thing. I've been wanting to get into doing that for awhile with the kitchenaide, but we have a breadmaker too. I'd love to hear if you find a good recipe for hearty and delicious everyday bread!