Thursday, January 12, 2012

30 Before 30: Organize the Craft Room

I accomplished one of my 30 before 30 goals of organizing my craft room. Yay! I can't tell you how big a project this was! I crafted a lot of holiday gifts this year and it was a straight up disaster zone in my craft nook.

Now let me clarify, my craft room isn't so much a room, as it is a closet that I can sit in. Don't get me wrong, it is a pretty sweet space with a ton of shelving - but let's not kid ourselves, it is a closet.

I searched a lot on Pinterest for inspiration and found lots of helpful tips. I also made a stop at IKEA (best.store.ever) while in P-town and picked up a few things to help me organize the space.


Oh, hello there TV from 1990 - how did you get in here? Um, yeh, you see how I couldn't really get into my craft closet?

Before
The shelves were not.pretty.

Hmm, does it look like I can use that sewing machine?

Before

Before - there is no order, I tell ya.

Yikes.

After

After

Why hello there organized and labeled bins (close ups are coming)

A Pinterest inspiration - a Dollar Store bin

Best IKEA purchase ever . . . so cute.

This fold down table is an IKEA purchase too - it gives me another work space which is fabulous.



These are Cricut cartridge boxes refurbished (because I got a super cool organizer for Christmas for all my Cricut stuff, it's coming up!). I covered the top and side with scrapbook paper, and then labeled, because who doesn't love a good label? You have to be careful not to cover the magnetic part of these boxes with paper, otherwise the magnet won't work! I used modge podge to glue the paper on - and filled with some loose items that I didn't really have a space for. Love it!




To the right is another Cricut cartridge box that I sliced the top off of and it holds my spools of thread.

All types of adhesives.

Super cool Cricut organizer!

LOVE!       

And that my friends is an organized craft nook! It took me more than a day to complete this - and Lucas can attest it was not pretty in the process, it looked like a war zone upstairs, but I am so happy now! I literally had not cleaned out my craft supplies since . . . um, ever - so I had a lot of stuff that I needed to trash or donate. I love that it is a totally usable space now, and I can easily find everything I am looking for! Also, I used all recycled bins, boxes, and containers to organize besides the one bin from the Dollar Tree and my IKEA purchases, so this project only cost me $32. That's what I call a success!

1 comment:

Shelli Bunn-Petterson said...

Wow, I started my craft room but didn't quite finish. :) You have inspired me.