Monday, August 4, 2014

A Day in the Life

I read quite a few blogs, and some of my favorite posts are called Day in the Life posts. I love reading about how other people spend their time, and how their lives go with kiddos - always SO intriguing to me! It is definitely a challenge to complete, and I have been wanting to do one since Isla was born so I have a good reference for what a typical day is like at any given point in time. Obviously, it has taken me a year and a half to actually accomplish this . . . so that may say something. ;)

I tried my best to track the details, and my thoughts on how the day went, plus take pictures so when I look back at this post someday, I'll think, ah, yes, I remember that! However, I did not take as many pics as I would have liked since Isla is currently really into pretending to talk on my phone (she walks around with it on her ear saying HI!!! and BYE!!!) so I could only bust it out occasionally to snap some pics without her demanding to see it! My writing is definitely choppy and more stream of consciousness so with that said . . . .

Here goes nothing:

A Day in the Life

Date: Saturday, August 2, 2014
I am 30 and Isla is 17 months 2 weeks, Lucas is 30 as well even though he was out of town this weekend at Luke's bachelor party - so this is a solo parenting re-cap!

7:28 I can hear Isla chatting to herself, and kind of yelling out. My first thought is thank goodness she didn't wake up last night! We have been having some sleep issues and I really wanted to sleep, not get up again and finagle her back to sleep! So yay for sleep!

7:35 Finally get up. Go get Isla. She demands all of her blankies come out of her crib with her. Diaper change. Out to play.

7:40-8:00 Play with toys, listen to music. She demands that I "Sit! Sit!" in her location of choice and play with toys.

8:00 Isla signs that she is hungry. I go to make oatmeal. Oatmeal, bananas, and blueberries are her b-fast, I make coffee. It might be a two cup kinda day. I think that she is happy to eat breakfast on her own, so I go to check bank stuff. Bad idea. I come back to an oatmeal explosion. The dogs are in heaven as there is oatmeal everywhere. Awesome. Unfortunately, I did not capture a photo of this due to my rush to clean.

I decide that it is too much for just a washcloth. Full on bath is happening. I start a second cup of coffee.

8:30 Bath time and more coffee. I already want a nap.

9:00 Clean, changed, and dressed. We head back to the family room to play. I am contemplating a solo trip to Costco (ACK!). I have to go early because it is supposed to be hot, and the AC just exploded in my car, so the car is hot. Isla is hot. We are all hot. So quick trips are a must. I hem and haw while Isla plays. I decide we can do it. I can totally do this. 

9:30 I'm dressed in workout clothes and thinking I'm not sure when the last time I showered was??? Maybe the day before yesterday? Not sure, a lot of projects are happening . . .

9:35 We are heading out the door - loaded, backing out of driveway, no garage door opener. Run back to get it. Back out, and halfway through the neighborhood when I remember the bin of glass I should be taking to the recycling center. Turn around, grab it, tell myself that I'm winning. Luckily Isla got in her carseat without a fight (a major problem lately) and is happily reading Las Palabras in Espanol. 

9:55 Drop glass off, enter Costco parking lot. Which is practically empty. #winning

10:00 Park, get Isla, get cart, start rolling. A just opened Costco is glorious. Isla is heaven. She loves to wave at people who aren't looking and point and say "that! that!" over and over.

10:45 Check out. It is starting to get hot. Car says it is already 85 degrees. No bueno. I get gas quickly, singing a little song to Isla so she doesn't get mad.

11:00 Home. Isla gets to watch a little Daniel Tiger while I unload the car. Then it is snack time - cheese and raspberries. This girl is obsessed with raspberries and ever since GGMa taught her to put them on her finger (like a black olive) that is what she has to do first. She keeps signing for more, but I would prefer to keep her from puking up red raspberries everywhere. Clean up and back to playing.

Working on those fine motor skills!

11:30 She is signing to eat again - growth spurt??? I make her waffle with PB, and give her some applesauce. She downs most of it, but wants to play with some mashed up spit out waffle a little too much for my liking.

While she finishes eating, I pot some plants that we bought earlier in the week to go in front of the house. I take a quick pic for IG - gotta show the yellow door some love since I have to paint over it due to the HOA stating it was "too bright." Ugh. One of the downfalls of living in suburbia.
11:50 Done eating, cleaning up (again.) Heading to bedroom for nap time. We read, sing, and lights out by noon.

12:00 I contemplate taking a nap as I am already exhausted, but force myself to get some projects done. I spray the weeds in the backyard (wife of the year), clean out old tubs in the backyard, take a quick sit down for IG and FB.

1:00 Realize I haven't eaten anything . . . put the Costco purchases to good use and make a tropical green smoothie.



1:15 Organize the laundry room closet, clean up the dirt from planting the flowers, clean out my bedside table drawer, go through my dresser and pull out things to donate. So many projects before I have to go back to work! I try to change a light bulb in the ceiling in the kitchen, but the part that actually goes in breaks off in the socket. I try a few things before I decide I probably shouldn't electrocute myself while Isla naps, and I'll just wait for Lucas to get home.

1:45 Really want to nap, but sit down to watch an old episode of Sex and the City.

2:00 Isla wakes up. Blerg. This 1 nap thing is really screwing us up because she won't sleep until 3, which would be the ideal. Waking up at 2 makes a 7pm bedtime very far away . . .

2:15 Go get Isla up. She again demands all her blankies and we go out to the couch to snuggle. Love these rare moments when she is cuddly and wants to snuggle. I think that I am so lucky, and infinitely grateful for a happy, healthy babe and can't believe that she is ours. So, so lucky.


We snuggle on the couch and read books. She asks for The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss to be repeated about 50 times, and I am.over.it. Seriously.
2:45 She signs for a snack so I get together some yogurt and strawberries. Home girl loves her some berries. That is for sure.
3:00 We continue to read books. Now don't get me wrong. I love reading with my girl, and as an avid reader myself, I love that she loves books. But dang she is demanding. I have to sit on the correct stair, or in the correct spot on the couch. I have to read the same book 3-4 time before she will even consider another option. We read and read and read some more.

4:00 Change it up by going to get the mail - it is HOT outside. Too hot to go play unless I want to set up all the water play stuff, but that sounds like a lot of work. I get this in the mail:

Yay!! I can finish the garage entry door!! However, Isla won't let that happen without some serious whining. I am sure I am boring her lately . . . Lucas isn't here, it is too hot outside, her little friends haven't been over, it is tough life.  I give her an ice cube in a wash cloth since her bottom canine is coming in and she seems semi-happy with this. She proceeds to chase the dogs around with her ice cube offering it to them. They are less than impressed, and while it was adorable the first 15 times, now it is venturing on harassment to the dogs. We go to the laundry room so I can start putting the vinyl on the door and I give her some random boxes to play with in the laundry room.



4:45 Done!! Love it so much.
5:00 It starts going down hill from here . . . she is tired, really should be taking a nap, but it is too close to bedtime, we gotta push past. I attempt to Facetime Meg, she texts and says she will be home soon. This pretty much represents how things were going . . .


5:15 Auntie Megan calls. Yay!! Isla is distracted and happy to talk to her and Zach while I chase her around with the phone.

5:50 Dinner. Luckily, I have lots of leftovers, because it is seriously tough to cook with a kiddo hanging on your heels. I bought a chicken wrap at Costco, so that gets cut up, with some leftover asparagus, and grapes.

6:20 Clouds have rolled in enough that I think we can go outside, it is hot, but not unbearable. I throw the balls for the dogs while Isla explores the yard.



Her playing "fetch" with Ellie is pretty much the cutest thing ever. Again, think how much I love this girl. She is hilarious.

6:40 Linda calls and we Facetime with the boys and Tara. It is Kel's birthday weekend and lots of fun stuff is going on! Isla poops during this, and it so SO stinky. Yuck.

7:00 Clean-up time. We clean up all the toys, books, and I run around the house picking up stuff that goes to her room or that can be thrown in the sink and laundry room to deal with later.

7:10 Jams, books, songs, snuggles. Lights out.

7:15 I assess the house situation.
Not horrible, but I definitely have things to get done. Realize that I should probably take a shower as I can't remember the last time I did. Yikes. I run outside and spray the weeds in the front yard (seriously, best wife ever). I clean up the garage, take out garbage and recycling, swifer, vacuum, do dishes, clear off table (why do we have so much crap?), file and shred a couple things, organize the diaper bag, dust the bedroom (disgusting), go through my jewelry (sense a theme here? I'm trying to go through each room, closet, item, etc to get rid of stuff and donate, I try to do this every summer before school starts and life gets more hectic). Go through my shoes and pull out ones to donate - start a donation bag.

8:00 Take a shower. FINALLY!

8:30 Start this blog post.

9:45 Decide to watch a movie - The Heat, sit down with ice cream (yum), and watch about 20 minutes before I decide I'm not really into it. Finish the Sex and the City ep from earlier. Flip through FB and IG.

10:00 Start Hollywood Game Night, but then return to blog post so I can finish, as I won't have time to sit and type tomorrow. I'm already planning on napping during Isla's nap time ;).

10:37 Finish blog post . . . decide to do one last sweep of the house, and go to bed. Good night!

No comments: