Layer 1 - this turned into the tester cake, because it stuck so badly to the pan.
Layer 2 - still sticking to the pan. ARGH!
Layer 3 - finally used parchment paper.
I was too lazy to make more of the butter cream so it really is an unfinished cake. Once I get better tools, I will focus more on the frosting aspect, I would like it to look really clean, like this (except for no ugly pink flowers on top):

Here's a breakdown for our overall thoughts:
Good:
- the taste was amazing, super dense and delicious
- the filling, lemon curd & raspberry filling, perfect!
- parchment paper; use it, love it.
Bad:
- buttercream frosting, I needed more of it, and was too lazy to make more of it to finish the cake, but it has to stay at room temp otherwise it is too hard
- cake + frosting = too rich, I will be trying a lighter cake, or a lighter frosting for trial #2
- my crappy resources, I only had 1 cake pan, and despite flouring & buttering the pan, my first 2 cakes stuck to the pan, so I will be getting new pans so & more parchment paper
1 comment:
it looks delicious! good work. if you want me to send out any of my supplies let me know. i guess all i really have that is of value is pans - lots of cake pans. 10 in and 6 in and those cardboard transfer boards. oh and one of those special cutter things that evens off the top of each layer.
i also found buttercream to be way too rich for me. i honestly ended up using canned frosting and loved it, but that too is hard to get to have a really smooth finish.
GOOD LUCK! you are off to a great start.
Post a Comment