Finally, I am getting a moment to sit down and type this out! I want to write it before I forget it all entirely. If there are typos, I apologize, but I gotta be fast! Here goes nothing . . .
Technically, the birth story begins on Tuesday, Feb. 12 - I went in for my regular weekly appointment. My BP had been a little higher than normal the previous week, and that day I was having some rib pain on the right side, which could have been baby, but is also a symptom of preclampsia. My BP was a little high, and when we listened to baby, the HB was a little lower than normal. With all those elements combined, my MW suggested that I head over to L&D to be monitored for a bit, just to be safe. She wasn't too concerned, but just wanted to confirm. I called Lucas and asked him to come and meet me, and I think he totally freaked out. :)
I went to L&D and got checked in, hooked up to the monitors and some labs taken. When my labs came back, they found protein in my urine, which is not good. They said I would have to stay and complete a 24 hour urine analysis - meaning that I had to stay in the hospital and pee in a bucket for 24 hours - good times. My MW came in during this and said that the protein levels were very high, and the likelihood of my levels dropping were very slim, and that they would have to induce. At this point, I was definitely freaking out - I wanted a med-free birth and being induced was not on my birth plan. There was a lot of information being shared, and Lucas was running home getting all of our stuff, calling in coverage, emailing all of his internship schools. It was quite crazy, good thing I was just sitting in a hospital bed doing nothing.
We had called our families and my parents had driven in from Oregon. By the time the 24 hour urine analysis was done, we had finally accepted that we could do the induction thing, and that it would be OK. So imagine our surprise when the nurse came in and said my numbers had dropped below 300 and they don't induce with numbers under 300, so have a good night. Uh, excuse me, what?? We were shocked to say the least.
My sister was flying in that night from Houston, and now it was for nothing. Cool. So we went home and tried to be happy that we weren't being induced, and that I could still go med-free, but it was a pretty crazy mind trip.
My family stayed until Saturday morning, hoping baby would make an appearance, and helped do some last minute things on our to-do list, which was so nice. But no baby.
Saturday morning before they left, I was having some light cramping, but didn't really think anything of it . . . so my family got in the car and drove back to Oregon. Throughout the day, I started having stronger cramping and then that moved into full blown contractions. They weren't super regular at that point, and I was still functioning just fine. I was cleaning, writing thank-you notes, organizing stuff and Lucas was riding the bike and screaming at the Ducks basketball team. :) It was around 8 or 9 when the contractions were a little more difficult and getting closer together, so we started to time them. I think at this point Lucas thought it was a little more serious, so he stopped yelling at the Ducks and started helping clean-up, getting the bags ready, and getting organized.
Our hypnobirthing instructor gave us the 5 by 5 by 5 rule before heading to the hospital - contractions lasting 55 seconds, 5 minutes apart, for at least 55 minutes. We were definitely at that point, but I told Lucas we should wait until after midnight so we didn't have to pay for an extra day. :)
We arrived at the hospital around 12:30 and got checked in . . . I was Group B positive so I had to get an IV of antibiotics, so I got hooked up, baby was being monitored and I got my first dose. I asked if I could go to the tub when it was done, so 20 minutes later we headed to the tub. At this point, contractions were tough - even in the tub. Lucas was so amazing, and was super supportive. I can't really explain contractions - they aren't really like anything I have ever felt before and are definitely all consuming - you can't really focus on anything else. After all was said and done, I think my eyes were open for like 10 minutes of the whole experience. I was forced to be in the zone.
They came back in to tell me I had to get another dose of antibiotics and to be monitored. So I had to leave the tub. Boo. I'm not sure what time it was at this point, but I knew I was tired. When I got back to the room and in bed, I asked what my pain options were . . . then the contraction ended and I decided I didn't need anything. At this point I was kind of draped over the bed and Lucas was pressing on my hips - he said that he was falling asleep and about to ask for coffee when the nurse called for the MW and an extra set of hands - that woke him up. Baby's heart rate was dropping, so they put me on oxygen and had me shift to my hands and knees which was super awkward and uncomfortable. At this point, my water hadn't broken yet, but when my MW checked me, it broke - and man, that is a serious gush. I didn't get to actually see it, since I was in the zone, but it sounded crazy, and I remember thinking - whoa, that is a lot of liquid. :) I was only at a 6 at this point, and thinking I couldn't really continue much longer.
Very quickly after this I felt a lot of pressure and was thinking I needed to push. My MW checked me again and I was at a 10. I started pushing - now pushing is weird and awkward but at least it distracts you from the contractions, and I really didn't know what I was doing. I was on the bed at this point, but then switched to the birthing stool to get a better feel for how to push. That helped but I felt like nothing was happening and I was working so hard. I thought for sure I was going to burst some blood vessels in my eyes or face. I had been pushing for about an hour when I said that I needed help - I didn't think I could keep going, and thought baby would never come out. Everyone was so amazing and supportive and kept telling me I could do it. They had seen the top of the head, and told me baby had lots of hair, but that kept saying that, and then no baby would actually come out! So frustrating! It was around 7, which was shift change time, so a new nurse came in, but the old one stayed telling me she couldn't just leave, she had to know whether it was a boy or a girl.
They were bustling around getting things ready, so that gave me a little bit of hope that we were really getting closer. Finally, I felt a lot more pressure, and was told that babe was coming. I was pushing with all my might at this point, and FINALLY her head came out. OUCH. The rest came out and she was placed on my chest - seriously, giving birth is the single most insane thing I have ever done in my entire life. It.is.unreal.
Lucas got to announce the gender - which things were a little messy and hectic, so he kinda stumbled, and said, boy? As a questions really, and then our MW was like, hmm, try again. And then he was said, girl! It's a girl! Brings a little tear to my eye thinking back to it.
Afterward they were shoving on my uterus so hard, and I kept asking the nurse if I could just a get a break to breathe - no such luck. At this point I asked for something to help with the pain, and my MW was stitching me up (big tear, I'll spare you the details). Lucas was busy with the babe and I was happy about that because I'm sure whatever they were doing to me wasn't pretty.
Finally things were calm, and we got to spend time with Isla as a little family. We really can't say enough wonderful things about the hospital, our MW, and the nurses. Everyone was AMAZING! We were so grateful for all their support and encouragement. Lucas was above and beyond wonderful. I have never been more in love with him, and him as a father is pretty much the best thing ever.
And because no good birth story is complete without a completely in the moment photo, here are a couple.
Technically, the birth story begins on Tuesday, Feb. 12 - I went in for my regular weekly appointment. My BP had been a little higher than normal the previous week, and that day I was having some rib pain on the right side, which could have been baby, but is also a symptom of preclampsia. My BP was a little high, and when we listened to baby, the HB was a little lower than normal. With all those elements combined, my MW suggested that I head over to L&D to be monitored for a bit, just to be safe. She wasn't too concerned, but just wanted to confirm. I called Lucas and asked him to come and meet me, and I think he totally freaked out. :)
I went to L&D and got checked in, hooked up to the monitors and some labs taken. When my labs came back, they found protein in my urine, which is not good. They said I would have to stay and complete a 24 hour urine analysis - meaning that I had to stay in the hospital and pee in a bucket for 24 hours - good times. My MW came in during this and said that the protein levels were very high, and the likelihood of my levels dropping were very slim, and that they would have to induce. At this point, I was definitely freaking out - I wanted a med-free birth and being induced was not on my birth plan. There was a lot of information being shared, and Lucas was running home getting all of our stuff, calling in coverage, emailing all of his internship schools. It was quite crazy, good thing I was just sitting in a hospital bed doing nothing.
We had called our families and my parents had driven in from Oregon. By the time the 24 hour urine analysis was done, we had finally accepted that we could do the induction thing, and that it would be OK. So imagine our surprise when the nurse came in and said my numbers had dropped below 300 and they don't induce with numbers under 300, so have a good night. Uh, excuse me, what?? We were shocked to say the least.
My sister was flying in that night from Houston, and now it was for nothing. Cool. So we went home and tried to be happy that we weren't being induced, and that I could still go med-free, but it was a pretty crazy mind trip.
My family stayed until Saturday morning, hoping baby would make an appearance, and helped do some last minute things on our to-do list, which was so nice. But no baby.
Saturday morning before they left, I was having some light cramping, but didn't really think anything of it . . . so my family got in the car and drove back to Oregon. Throughout the day, I started having stronger cramping and then that moved into full blown contractions. They weren't super regular at that point, and I was still functioning just fine. I was cleaning, writing thank-you notes, organizing stuff and Lucas was riding the bike and screaming at the Ducks basketball team. :) It was around 8 or 9 when the contractions were a little more difficult and getting closer together, so we started to time them. I think at this point Lucas thought it was a little more serious, so he stopped yelling at the Ducks and started helping clean-up, getting the bags ready, and getting organized.
Our hypnobirthing instructor gave us the 5 by 5 by 5 rule before heading to the hospital - contractions lasting 55 seconds, 5 minutes apart, for at least 55 minutes. We were definitely at that point, but I told Lucas we should wait until after midnight so we didn't have to pay for an extra day. :)
We arrived at the hospital around 12:30 and got checked in . . . I was Group B positive so I had to get an IV of antibiotics, so I got hooked up, baby was being monitored and I got my first dose. I asked if I could go to the tub when it was done, so 20 minutes later we headed to the tub. At this point, contractions were tough - even in the tub. Lucas was so amazing, and was super supportive. I can't really explain contractions - they aren't really like anything I have ever felt before and are definitely all consuming - you can't really focus on anything else. After all was said and done, I think my eyes were open for like 10 minutes of the whole experience. I was forced to be in the zone.
They came back in to tell me I had to get another dose of antibiotics and to be monitored. So I had to leave the tub. Boo. I'm not sure what time it was at this point, but I knew I was tired. When I got back to the room and in bed, I asked what my pain options were . . . then the contraction ended and I decided I didn't need anything. At this point I was kind of draped over the bed and Lucas was pressing on my hips - he said that he was falling asleep and about to ask for coffee when the nurse called for the MW and an extra set of hands - that woke him up. Baby's heart rate was dropping, so they put me on oxygen and had me shift to my hands and knees which was super awkward and uncomfortable. At this point, my water hadn't broken yet, but when my MW checked me, it broke - and man, that is a serious gush. I didn't get to actually see it, since I was in the zone, but it sounded crazy, and I remember thinking - whoa, that is a lot of liquid. :) I was only at a 6 at this point, and thinking I couldn't really continue much longer.
Very quickly after this I felt a lot of pressure and was thinking I needed to push. My MW checked me again and I was at a 10. I started pushing - now pushing is weird and awkward but at least it distracts you from the contractions, and I really didn't know what I was doing. I was on the bed at this point, but then switched to the birthing stool to get a better feel for how to push. That helped but I felt like nothing was happening and I was working so hard. I thought for sure I was going to burst some blood vessels in my eyes or face. I had been pushing for about an hour when I said that I needed help - I didn't think I could keep going, and thought baby would never come out. Everyone was so amazing and supportive and kept telling me I could do it. They had seen the top of the head, and told me baby had lots of hair, but that kept saying that, and then no baby would actually come out! So frustrating! It was around 7, which was shift change time, so a new nurse came in, but the old one stayed telling me she couldn't just leave, she had to know whether it was a boy or a girl.
They were bustling around getting things ready, so that gave me a little bit of hope that we were really getting closer. Finally, I felt a lot more pressure, and was told that babe was coming. I was pushing with all my might at this point, and FINALLY her head came out. OUCH. The rest came out and she was placed on my chest - seriously, giving birth is the single most insane thing I have ever done in my entire life. It.is.unreal.
Lucas got to announce the gender - which things were a little messy and hectic, so he kinda stumbled, and said, boy? As a questions really, and then our MW was like, hmm, try again. And then he was said, girl! It's a girl! Brings a little tear to my eye thinking back to it.
Afterward they were shoving on my uterus so hard, and I kept asking the nurse if I could just a get a break to breathe - no such luck. At this point I asked for something to help with the pain, and my MW was stitching me up (big tear, I'll spare you the details). Lucas was busy with the babe and I was happy about that because I'm sure whatever they were doing to me wasn't pretty.
Finally things were calm, and we got to spend time with Isla as a little family. We really can't say enough wonderful things about the hospital, our MW, and the nurses. Everyone was AMAZING! We were so grateful for all their support and encouragement. Lucas was above and beyond wonderful. I have never been more in love with him, and him as a father is pretty much the best thing ever.
And because no good birth story is complete without a completely in the moment photo, here are a couple.
| When I saw this pic, I thought, I look so happy, and then I remembered that I was done pushing, and I was so freaking happy that she actually came out! :) |
| Love. |
No comments:
Post a Comment